Introduction

The "Hotel Melanoma" moniker is a metaphor for living with my particular brand of cancer. Except for those lucky few of us deemed "cured", all we cancer survivors are guests of one of the many, many branded hotels in the "Hotel Carcinoma" chain. We can check out any time we like, but we can never leave. Meanwhile, let's be livin' it up; and please support cancer education, prevention, and treatment research.



Tutu Brothers

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Wouldn't It Be Nice

Most of the time I feel impotent and ineffective as a melanoma advocate. (Considering some of the ‘lost causes’ I had for law clients, perhaps there’s a life pattern there?) And I often despair the odds that anything approaching a melanoma cure will ever be found. But we can’t ever stop dreaming and trying now, can we. Or lose our faith in the collective power of the grassroots efforts I see reflected in everything my mole mates are doing this month with social media. Because when I log onto Facebook and see the power of just one seriously pissed off Mama Bear, my hope is restored.

For Jillian’s mom, a new version of The Beach Boys’ “Wouldn’t It Be Nice”…


Wouldn't it be nice if C were over
Then you wouldn't have to hear these songs
And wouldn't it be nice to live forever
With the kind of cure for which we long


You know it’s gonna make it that much better
When we can ban tan lights and slay the leather


Wouldn't it be nice if we could wake up
All the fools that think their bronze is cool
And after having walked for AIM together
Dance and drink our toasts the whole night through


Happy times if we get Black C spending
I wish that ‘just skin C’ would soon be ending
Wouldn't it be nice


Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray it might come true
Maybe then there wouldn't be a single thing we need to do
C would be buried
And then we'd be happy


Wouldn't it be nice


You know it seems the more we talk about it
It only makes it worse to live without it
But let’s talk about it
Wouldn't it be nice


Good night my Black C
Sleep tight my Black C

1 comment: