Introduction

The "Hotel Melanoma" moniker is a metaphor for living with my particular brand of cancer. Except for those lucky few of us deemed "cured", all we cancer survivors are guests of one of the many, many branded hotels in the "Hotel Carcinoma" chain. We can check out any time we like, but we can never leave. Meanwhile, let's be livin' it up; and please support cancer education, prevention, and treatment research.



Tutu Brothers

Monday, May 14, 2012

Playing For Pink

Yesterday I watched a bit of the last round of the Professional Golf Association’s so-called “Fifth Major”, The Players Championship. A bunch of the players and their caddies were sporting pink shirts and/or golf caps, having declared it Breast Cancer Awareness Day in recognition of Mothers Day. (I didn’t spot anyone playing pink golf balls, but I could name a couple of players who perhaps should’ve been.) Nice gesture, I suppose, but it irked me just a bit when it came during “our” awareness month. But I guess mothers don’t get melanoma, do they. And, oh, I forgot, ovarian, uterine and cervical cancers have been cured haven’t they.


I’m reminded yet again that only by the grassroots efforts I see everyday from my fellow melanoma warriors will we ever overcome the ignorance and indifference surrounding The Hotel Melanoma. With gratitude and admiration for all of you, here’s a new version of one of my favorites, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers’ “Yer So Bad”…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdRViFCvvUo


This boomer got lucky, everything’s ducky
Pale skin like day of my birth
Now I’m a blogger, brain is a fogger
I can't decide which is worse


I caught thee Black C, I've got docs to save me
Oh yer so bad, worst thing I ever had
In a mole gone mad, yer so bad


Our cancer gets shunnin’, can't get no lovin'
Golf a round tan-faced and burned
Our C got nothin', bread is not comin’
They can't decide we have worth


I caught thee Black C, I've got meds to save me
Oh yer so bad, worst thing I ever had
In a mole gone mad, yer so bad

I caught thee Black C, I've got meds to save me
Oh yer so bad, worst thing I ever had
In a mole gone mad, yer so bad

Oh yer so bad, worst thing I ever had
In a mole gone mad, yer so bad

No comments:

Post a Comment