Introduction

The "Hotel Melanoma" moniker is a metaphor for living with my particular brand of cancer. Except for those lucky few of us deemed "cured", all we cancer survivors are guests of one of the many, many branded hotels in the "Hotel Carcinoma" chain. We can check out any time we like, but we can never leave. Meanwhile, let's be livin' it up; and please support cancer education, prevention, and treatment research.



Tutu Brothers

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Wake Up Cancer, I Think I Got Somethin' To Say To You

Rev. Carol Taylor, the pro bono Chaplain here at the Hotel Melanoma and host of the Melanoma Prayer Center page on Facebook, has started a completely private online melanoma discussion group. I’m a recovering attorney and have the luxury of saying just about anything I want about melanoma without worries about the potential fallout in my career. Witness this blog, where I’ve said so many things that would’ve gotten me fired long ago. The truth is, if I was still practicing law this blog wouldn’t exist. (My rather frank post about “chemo brain” could’ve resulted in a visit from the law firm’s managing partner and an earlier-than-expected retirement.) And I don’t have to put up the “fortress of strength” front for young kids. But I suspect that a whole lot of residents of this Hotel, guys in particular, don’t feel they can talk openly and honestly about this freakin’ disease and how it’s affecting their lives. So, if you’re one of those folks and would be interested in participating in a private discussion forum, contact Carol through the Melanoma Prayer Center link on the right side of this page.

I’ll sign off with my version of Rod Stewart’s “Maggie May”…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvEBgjSAUSE


Wake up Cancer, I think I got something to say to you
It's mid-December and I really am a bloggin’ fool
I know I keep you amused but I feel I'm being used
Oh Cancer, I shouldn't have fried any more
You led me away from home just to save you from being alone
You stole my health and that's what really hurt

The morning sun when it's in my face really shows my age
But that don't worry me none, still alive is everything
I laugh at all of my jokes, my blog you didn't need to coax
Oh Cancer, I shouldn't have fried any more
You led me away from home, just to save you from being alone
You stole my moles and that's a pain I can do without

All I needed was some meds to lend a healing hand
But you turned into a devil and
mother what a devil, you wore me out
All you did was wreck my bed
and in the morning kick me in the head
Oh Cancer, I shouldn't have fried anymore
You led me away from home 'cause you didn't want to be alone
You stole my health, I couldn't leave you if I tried

I suppose I could collect my wits and turn my back on you
Or steal some sunscreen goo and make a living out of guardin’ pools
Or find myself a Black C mole band that needs a helpin' hand
Oh Cancer, I wish that I'd never seen your face
You made a first-class fool out of me
But I was bronzed as a fool can be
You stole my health but they’ll cure you any day

Cancer, I wish I'd never seen your face
I'll get on back home one of these days

No comments:

Post a Comment