Introduction

The "Hotel Melanoma" moniker is a metaphor for living with my particular brand of cancer. Except for those lucky few of us deemed "cured", all we cancer survivors are guests of one of the many, many branded hotels in the "Hotel Carcinoma" chain. We can check out any time we like, but we can never leave. Meanwhile, let's be livin' it up; and please support cancer education, prevention, and treatment research.



Tutu Brothers

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Lab Monkey Rock

Since checking into the Hotel Melanoma in 2003, I’ve quite often felt that melanoma treatment is just one big science experiment and I’m one of the lab monkeys. I’m quite grateful to apparently be one of the success stories of a clinical trial. But I’m not so grateful that the follow-up monitoring ‘plan’ since completing treatment has been “let’s wait and see if he turns up sick again”. The plan’s success turns entirely upon a combination of luck and ME quickly getting my butt into the melanoma clinic if I suspect something might be going awry.

So, when flying to Charlotte next month for the world’s leading AIM For A Cure Melanoma Walk I’m planning to try and get at least one pass through an airport security scanner and ask the TSA agent if he or she sees anything interesting.

Hoping the TSA won't misinterpret my question and 'cuff me, I’ll sign off with the Hotel Melanoma rendition of “Street Fighting Man” from the Rolling Stones…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFvtMp7hRF8


Ev'rywhere I fear the sound of marching, charging C, oy!
'Cause Black C’s here and the time is right for bathing in sunscreen, boy
But what can a poor boy do
Except to sing for the checkin’ mole band
'Cause in creepy Hotel M
There's just no peace for a C fighting man
No

Hey! Think the time is right for a treatment revolution
'Cause where I live the game they play is “wait and see” solution
Well, then what can a poor boy do
Except to sing for the checkin’ mole band
'Cause in creepy Hotel M
There's just no peace for a C fighting man
No

Hey! Said my name is called disturbance
I'll shout and scream, I'll kill C thing, I'll rail at all sun servants
Well, what can a poor boy do
Except to sing for the checkin’ mole band
'Cause in creepy Hotel M
There's just no peace for a C fighting man
No

No comments:

Post a Comment