Introduction

The "Hotel Melanoma" moniker is a metaphor for living with my particular brand of cancer. Except for those lucky few of us deemed "cured", all we cancer survivors are guests of one of the many, many branded hotels in the "Hotel Carcinoma" chain. We can check out any time we like, but we can never leave. Meanwhile, let's be livin' it up; and please support cancer education, prevention, and treatment research.



Tutu Brothers

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Conniption Rock


I just love talking to oncologists. I have a radiation oncologist who thinks I need to be scanned, just to make sure I don’t have an asymptomatic tumor lurking somewhere.  And I have a clinical oncologist who thinks I look great and don’t. There’s no standard protocol that applies to someone like me, who’s way out there on the right side of the relapse-free survival curve.  So neither of them is wrong and both have their patient’s best interests at heart. I could seek a tie-breaker third opinion, but I might as well consult my golden retriever whom, if he could talk, would say anything for a Milk Bone. Or I could stowaway in my wife’s luggage and go through baggage scan tomorrow at Denver International Airport. I’m dazed and confused. Any suggestions or advice?


I’ll sign off with the Hotel Melanoma rendition of “Understanding” from Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btsIlNJyuSQ&feature=related


It seems like only everyday
I’ve never had a clue
I sit at home not knowin where to turn
Now suddenly I check around
And everything looks true
I don't know why, but I think I'm startin' to learn
They call it under-scanning
I’m hesitant to glow
I'm finally understanding
There's so much I don’t know
Until the day C came along
I used to just get bossed
I only said the things folks wanted to hear
I always 'screened like no sun care
But then you booked my time
And now I look and everything seems fear
You've got me understanding
You've really helped me, C
I'm finally understanding
It's meant so much to me
You’ve got me understanding
You’ve given me so much pride
I’m finally understanding
You've got me understanding
You're really on my hide
You’re really on my hide
They've got me underscanning?
They’ve got me underscanning?
For the first time
They’ve got me understanding

2 comments:

  1. Interesting that you should say about the airport scanning. In early November last year before I received my diagnosis of melanoma I went through a airport scanner and it showed something on my upper thigh which I would later find out it was cancer...So there is something to be said about airport scanning machines. Stay strong and keep fighting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I'd imagine that you now have a more favorable opinion of the TSA. Best wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete