Introduction

The "Hotel Melanoma" moniker is a metaphor for living with my particular brand of cancer. Except for those lucky few of us deemed "cured", all we cancer survivors are guests of one of the many, many branded hotels in the "Hotel Carcinoma" chain. We can check out any time we like, but we can never leave. Meanwhile, let's be livin' it up; and please support cancer education, prevention, and treatment research.



Tutu Brothers

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Breakdown



I shot a very ugly round of golf out on a sun-soaked course today with the Geezer Golf League. My driver slice was back with a vengeance and I spent some quality time in the woods trying to figure out if there was any way out but sideways. There wasn’t, but the “discretion is the better part of valor” shot just ain’t in my golf bag. Consequently, several of my golf balls sustained serious wounds as a result of high velocity collisions with ponderosa pine trees. No mulligans were granted. No money was won. But no sunburn was sustained either because, with the exception of wearing a ball cap rather than a dorky wide-brimmed hat that I would’ve had to glue to my head to keep on in today’s wind gusts, I followed the prevention guidelines recommended by The Skin Cancer Foundation.

Check them out at http://www.skincancer.org/publications/sun-and-skin-news/summer-2011-28-2/men-golf-and-skin-cancer.

I’ll sign off with The Hotel Melanoma version of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers’ “Breakdown”…



It sails straight when I swing through
It sails right when I don't
I'm not afraid of low scoring today
Baby, I've got the feeling I won't


There is no sense in pretending
My slice came back today
Something inside me is feeling like par’s through
I say it’s just best to pray


Baby, Breakdown
Go ahead and give eight to me
Breakdown honey make me lose this slice
Breakdown now I’m stranded here back in trees
Breakdown, it sails right
It sails right
It sails right


Breakdown
Go ahead and give eight to me
Breakdown honey take me through this slice
Breakdown now I’m stranded here can't miss trees
Breakdown, it's not right
It's not right
It's not right

No comments:

Post a Comment