Introduction

The "Hotel Melanoma" moniker is a metaphor for living with my particular brand of cancer. Except for those lucky few of us deemed "cured", all we cancer survivors are guests of one of the many, many branded hotels in the "Hotel Carcinoma" chain. We can check out any time we like, but we can never leave. Meanwhile, let's be livin' it up; and please support cancer education, prevention, and treatment research.



Tutu Brothers

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Hey You

My golf date with the Geezer League got rained out today. (This is a blessing since we badly need the rain and I might as well be chipping and putting with my eyes closed.) So I’ve nothing better to do than be annoying and beg for financial support for melanoma research. Nearly everyone who reads this blog is already an inmate at The Hotel Melanoma, and I know you mole mates are already doing all you can to support the cause. But one never knows how many misdirected Google searchers might get lured here and actually read this post before realizing that it’s not ‘Dr.’ Mercola’s quackery blog. So here goes…

There are several worthy melanoma nonprofits out there, like the Melanoma Research Alliance featured in the recent Stand Up To Cancer fundraising telecast. My personal favorites are selfishly close to home-- the Lewis Melanoma Research Fund, which supports my doc’s research efforts, and the AMC Cancer Fund, which supports the University of Colorado Cancer Center. And I’m participating in the AIM For A Cure Melanoma Walk in Charlotte, NC on November 17th.

If you choose to support one of my favorite melanoma nonprofits I’ll certainly be grateful, but all I can reasonably ask/beg is that you choose your own favorite organization and support it generously. The Indoor Tanning Association seems to be dead set on creating the demand for a new wing here at The Hotel Melanoma for former teen tanners, so we need your help in finding more effective treatments and, maybe someday, a cure. The life you help save just might be your own.

From Pink Floyd, “Hey You”…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gELhNbDcLE0



Hey you, not yet in C’s fold
Getting UV, baking moles
Can you feel C?
Hey you, tanning all the while
With bitchy tweets and snake oil smiles
Can you heal C?
Hey you, come help us to bury black fright
Won't give in without a fight.

Hey you, out there lying prone
Getting basted like a scone
Would you touch C?
Hey you, in salons out at the mall
Waiting for some sun to come out
Would you touch C?
Hey you, would you help me to carry C’s stone?
Open your heart, it’s coming home.

And it’s not only fantasy.
The wall’s not too high,
As you will see.
With fatter wallets plied,
We could stop Black C.
With new cures end cancer’s old reign.

Hey you, out there on C road
Always buying what Oz sold,
Can you help me?
Hey you, out there beyond these walls,
Getting mottled at the mall,
Can you help me?
Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all
Together we stand, divided we fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment