Introduction

The "Hotel Melanoma" moniker is a metaphor for living with my particular brand of cancer. Except for those lucky few of us deemed "cured", all we cancer survivors are guests of one of the many, many branded hotels in the "Hotel Carcinoma" chain. We can check out any time we like, but we can never leave. Meanwhile, let's be livin' it up; and please support cancer education, prevention, and treatment research.



Tutu Brothers

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Going Coastal

It’s been way too long since I’ve been groped by a TSA agent, so I’m checking out of the Hotel for a few days to vacation with my wife in Oregon where we once lived. That was back before I checked into this Hotel and our lives were ‘normal’ and cancer-free, so I’m hoping that a few days of basking in the beauty of the rugged Oregon coast will turn the clock back and renew our spirits. Perhaps we can leave the specter of a melanoma recurrence back home and safely locked away in the Hotel safe. We’ll see.

Meanwhile, I’ll leave you with a new version of Marvin Gaye’s classic, “I Heard It Through The Grapevine”…



Ooh, I bet you're wondering how I knew
That melanoma makes you blue
’Bout some other life that you knew before.
Between the two of these lives
You know we loved old more.
It took me by surprise I must say,
When I found out that black day.
Don't you know that...

I heard it through the phone line
That no longer will life be fine.
Oh I heard it through the phone line,
Oh and I'm just about to lose my mind.
Honey, honey yeah.

I know that a man is supposed to die,
But these fears I don't take in stride.
Gettin' you could end my life you see,
And it means so much to me.
You nearly stole my old self.
Wish you’d go somewhere else.
Instead...

I heard it through the phone line
That no longer will life be fine.
Oh I heard it through the phone line,
Oh and I'm just about to lose my mind.
Honey, honey yeah.

People say just leave those statistics be,
Son, and laugh at what you hear.
I can't help bein' confused
If it's true please quell these fears
Do you plan to let me go
To the other guy I was before?
Don't you know...

I heard it through the phone line
That no longer will life be fine.
Oh I heard it through the phone line,
Oh and I'm just about to lose my mind.
Honey, honey yeah.

2 comments:

  1. i really liked that version! enjoy your vacation... let us know if it helps restore "normality"...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great trip, Rich. You both deserve some time away from THE hotel. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete