Introduction

The "Hotel Melanoma" moniker is a metaphor for living with my particular brand of cancer. Except for those lucky few of us deemed "cured", all we cancer survivors are guests of one of the many, many branded hotels in the "Hotel Carcinoma" chain. We can check out any time we like, but we can never leave. Meanwhile, let's be livin' it up; and please support cancer education, prevention, and treatment research.



Tutu Brothers

Sunday, August 11, 2013

A Reunion



Until I came out of my closet and joined the online melanoma community, I wouldn’t have thought it was possible to have a reunion with people I’d never before met in person. But it surely is.

I attended my second ever melanoma fundraising event yesterday, and had a marvelous time talking with several melahomies whom I’d previously ‘met’ by e-mail and social media. This particular event was centered around a polo tournament held on a lovely day in a beautiful setting but, truth be told, I’d have enjoyed it just as much had we met at the hotdog stand at the local Costco. Because the day was all about enjoying the fellowship of good folks with shared experiences in fighting a common foe.

It was a particular pleasure to connect with a fellow biochemotherapy veteran, and his loving and supportive wife with whom I’d chatted by e-mail a few years ago when they were about to embark together on that toxic treatment roller coaster ride. But I’m filled with sadness today because the treatment didn’t work as well for this young father as it has for me, and I just don’t understand the “why” of these things. And I don’t think I ever will.

Sending my prayers for this young couple and their two children, I’ll sign off with my version of Bob Seger’s “Even Now”…



Mela highway
A lonesome stretch of days
It runs beneath us
And makes me scarred array
Out in the distance
Always within reach
There’s a crossroad
Where all sun’s victims meet
I close my eyes
And see cure’s face
It's all I want to see
And deep inside
It still amazes me

Even now
It's all that I want
It's all that we need
Even now
C’s gettin’ it all
C's gettin' to me
Even now
When everything's right
When everything's wrong
Even now
C’s keepin' me straight
C's keepin' me strong
C gets to me
Somehow
Even now

And through the darkness
Through all the endless days
Through all the changes
The pointless clinic days
I can still make it
I can still stand tall
Cause I got my cure
To get me through it all
Through all the doubt
And all the fear
And all that I can't say
Still sorrowed
Please help me find my way

Even now
C's still in my heart
C's still in my soul
Even now
C's still on my mind
Wherever I go
Even now
Through all of my days
And all of my nights
Even now
C’s keepin' it real
C's keepin' it fright
C gets to me
Somehow
Even now
Cure’s all that I want
Cure’s all that we need
Even now

C’s gettin’ it all
C’s gettin’ to me
When everything's right
When everything's wrong
C's keepin' it real
C's keepin' me strong
Even now

No comments:

Post a Comment