Introduction

The "Hotel Melanoma" moniker is a metaphor for living with my particular brand of cancer. Except for those lucky few of us deemed "cured", all we cancer survivors are guests of one of the many, many branded hotels in the "Hotel Carcinoma" chain. We can check out any time we like, but we can never leave. Meanwhile, let's be livin' it up; and please support cancer education, prevention, and treatment research.



Tutu Brothers

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

No Time

I’ll confess, I’m a Roman Catholic, not a very good one, but I try. Perhaps only known in an increasingly secular world for all of its institutional faults and fallibilities, the Roman Catholic Church offers a very well developed, wide and deep body of teaching on the concept of sin that endures through the years and doesn’t bend to the mores of the popular culture of the day. Yes, sin. Some things just aren’t okay and never will be, regardless of the situation. Really.

Among the most destructive of sins is envy. And it’s reared its ugly head here at the Hotel Melanoma among mole mates working in various ways to increase melanoma awareness. A theologian I’m not, but I think we’re committing the sin of envy when we’re angry or sorrowful about the successes of others and we do things to try to take them away and grab them for ourselves. As far south of perfect as I am, I nevertheless have no time for envy or the envious when it comes to working together to do what we can to teach the general public that this ain’t “just skin cancer”. And I hope you don’t either.

So, c’mon people, check your envy at the Hotel door and play nice together once inside. If you don’t, Hotel management will transfer you to the “administrative segregation” wing where every room is adjacent to an elevator and ice machine.

I’ll end today’s homily with the Hotel Melanoma rendition of “No Time” from The Guess Who…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUulpH16hTo


No time left for you
Finding ways to better things
No time left for you
I built myself new wing
No time left for you
Mutant moles are stalking me
No time left for you.

No time for a bummer friend
No time for the posts you send
Friendships change and so did I
You need not wonder why
You need not wonder why
There’s no time left for you
No time left for you.

No time left for you
Finding ways to better things
No time left for you
I built myself new wing
No time left for you
Mutant moles are stalking me
No time left for you.

No time for a drama queen
No time for a post that’s mean
No time for facebooking bores
No time at this Hotel for
No time at this Hotel for
There’s no time left for you
No time left for you.

No time for a bummer friend
No time for the posts you send
Friendships change and so did I
You need not wonder why
You need not wonder why
There’s no time left for you
No time left for you.

No time, no time, no time, no time
No time, no time, no time, no time
I got, got, got, got no time
I got, got, got, got no time
I got, got, got, got no time
No, no, no, no, no, no, no time
No, no, no, no, no, no, no time
I got, got, got, got no time
No, no, no, no, no
No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no time
I got no time, got no time, got no time, got no time, got no time,
Got no time, got no time

3 comments:

  1. Very well said Rich. I am sorry I am going to miss you guys in Charlotte this weekend. I will be thinking of you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rich, I just found your blog, and I am so happy I did - you offer a wealth of information, and I appreciate your sense of humor. I checked in to Hotel Melanoma in Sept 2005, and every 3 months am reminded that I can checkout anytime I'd like, but I can never leave.
    Blessings,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. I'm so glad you're still here!

    ReplyDelete