Introduction

The "Hotel Melanoma" moniker is a metaphor for living with my particular brand of cancer. Except for those lucky few of us deemed "cured", all we cancer survivors are guests of one of the many, many branded hotels in the "Hotel Carcinoma" chain. We can check out any time we like, but we can never leave. Meanwhile, let's be livin' it up; and please support cancer education, prevention, and treatment research.



Tutu Brothers

Friday, November 9, 2012

Blogging For Black


Everyone who’s checked into the Hotel Melanoma knows that “just skin cancer” is one of the relatively under-funded cancers, when funding is measured by research dollars spent per new patient diagnosis and per patient death. My own favorite melanoma cause is the melanoma research program at the University of Colorado Cancer Center, because it most likely saved my life. So if you enjoy this little blog, please consider making a donation to The University of Colorado Foundation Melanoma Research Fund. No amount is too small and every donation will be greatly appreciated. And if you dislike my blog, you just might be able to blast it out into the ether of cyberspace by making a really BIG donation—so just get in touch with me and perhaps we can negotiate a ‘killer’ donation.

But, being a recovering attorney, I always have a Plan B and have thought of a promising new idea for melanoma research fundraising! This past Tuesday, voters in the Great State of Colorado approved an amendment to the state constitution that decriminalizes the recreational use of marijuana. Beginning in 2014, after the legislature figures out how in the heck they are going to be regulate and tax the sale of marijuana, the amendment will also permit licensed retail sales stores. So I just might apply for a license to open a shop, call it “McWeed’s”, and donate the profits to melanoma research. Do you think “Tokin’ For The Cure” might work as an ad slogan?

Hoping that neither my Mom nor any of those brave and dedicated public servants at the United States Drug Enforcement Administration will ever, ever read this post, I’ll sign off with the Hotel Melanoma rendition of “Down To Seeds And Stems Again Blues” from Commander Cody & His Lost Planet Airmen…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEg9FbuaSCk


I'm bloggin’ at home, ev’ry dang night, mocking the fake bake glow
A bottle of wine, some ‘cigarettes’, I got no race to go
Well, I saw my onc doc man today, he was scaring with brand new news
And I'm down to seeds and stems again, too

Well, I saw my old friend Oz today from up on TV screen
He has the scariest quack doc pals that I've ever seen
But I couldn't hide my tears at all 'cause C’s cooked best by U
And I'm down to seeds and stems again, too

Now everybody tells me there's other ways to get fried
They don't seem to understand, I'm too far gone to try
Now these sun ray memories, they're all I can't lose
And I'm down to seeds and stems again, too

Well, my blog died just yesterday, fans left me all alone
That CIGNA company called up today, they’ve reprocessed claims known
But that's just a drop in the bucket, pals, compared to losing hue
And I'm down to seeds and stems again, too

Got the down to seeds and stems again blues

No comments:

Post a Comment