Introduction

The "Hotel Melanoma" moniker is a metaphor for living with my particular brand of cancer. Except for those lucky few of us deemed "cured", all we cancer survivors are guests of one of the many, many branded hotels in the "Hotel Carcinoma" chain. We can check out any time we like, but we can never leave. Meanwhile, let's be livin' it up; and please support cancer education, prevention, and treatment research.



Tutu Brothers

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Luck O' The Irish

From what I know about my family tree, I’m a western and northern European mongrel. Y-DNA testing indicates my patrilineal line of descent began with a Viking who evidently decided to settle down in the Scottish Highlands, perhaps with a nice Irish Catholic girl for his bride, and joined up with Clan Donald from whence my Scottish surname came. But a certain oncologist who was using me for “show and tell” (and talking about me like I wasn’t there) once told his young doctor disciple that “the patient” has “Irish skin”. And I’ve certainly enjoyed the luck o’ the Irish since checking into The Hotel Melanoma. So today, I’m Irish. And I’m thankful.

May the luck o’ the Irish be with you today and always!

To the tune of Mary Chapin Carpenter’s “I Feel Lucky”…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gpp-pvFw_Fg



Well I woke up one morning found a mole on my back
I opened up my browser to the page ‘bout C Black
It only took a minute for this boomer to find
My Ray C dose of destiny ain’t lookin’ fine
My eyes just about popped out of my head
It said "the stats are stacked against you boy, get Black you’re dead"

I feel lucky, I feel lucky, yeah
No old Doctor Doom gonna stand in my way
Mmmmm, I feel lucky today

Well I strolled down to the clinic, gave my health card to the nurse
This costs eleven million so I called in sick to work
I saw a pack of doctors, got some chemo and some barfs
Scanned beneath the lights, always feelin’ in the dark
Those fries began to wander, skin began to moan
I heard a voice above me saying, "boy, you better check that mole"

But I feel lucky, oh oh oh, I feel lucky, yeah
No medical profession gonna steal my fun away
Mmmmm, I feel lucky today

Now eleven million later, I am living with some scars
I've bought a house of trouble and my doctors some new cars
Fright’s lurkin’ in the corner, trying to snatch my life
My medic’s right to chide me if sun tans are on my thighs
The moral of this story, it's simple but it's true
Hey the stats might lie, but the sun will get to you

I feel lucky, oh oh oh, I feel lucky, yeah
Hey guys, hey gals, folks, you do have to fight
Hot dog, I'm feeling lucky tonight

I feel lucky, brrrrr, I feel lucky, yeah
Think I'll flip a coin, I'm a winner either way
Mmmmmm, I feel lucky today

No comments:

Post a Comment