Introduction

The "Hotel Melanoma" moniker is a metaphor for living with my particular brand of cancer. Except for those lucky few of us deemed "cured", all we cancer survivors are guests of one of the many, many branded hotels in the "Hotel Carcinoma" chain. We can check out any time we like, but we can never leave. Meanwhile, let's be livin' it up; and please support cancer education, prevention, and treatment research.



Tutu Brothers

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Never Meager With Seger

I’m taking a few days off from blogging, but I’ll leave you with a lyrical story about making a bold treatment choice about this time back in 2003 and a little weekend road trip that followed. The Hotel Melanoma rendition of Bob Seger’s “Roll Me Away”….


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfbBw-YMBeQ


Took a look down the mela road,
Right away I made my choice
Headed out to my doctor healer,
I was wired to have my voice
Took a bead on that Anschutz place
And just rolled that turbo on

One hour out of Monument City
Stopped in my car to voice my views
Met the doc and we talked about things
And I told him what I'd decided to do
He looked out the window a long, long moment
Then he looked into my eyes
He didn't have to say a thing,
I knew what he was thinkin'

Blow, blow C away,
Won't you blow C away so right
I rue the cost, I feel double-crossed
And I'm sick of what's wrong and sun’s fright
I barely even heard a word,
I just walked out and went on some hikes
And I rolled
And I rolled clean out of sight

I rolled above the high plains
Deep into the mountains
Felt so good to me
Finally feelin' free

Somewhere along a high road
My cares began to grow old
I knew I’d caused my own
I dreaded what I’d sown

Stood alone on a mountain top,
Starin' out at the Great Divide
I could do least, I could do best,
It was all up to me to decide
Just then I saw my young pup smilin'
And my soul began to rise
And pretty soon
My heart was singin'

Roll, roll C away,
I'm gonna roll C away so right
Gotta keep rollin, gotta keep fightin',
Keep searchin' till I find what's right
And as the sunset faded
I spoke to the faintest first starlight
And I said next time
Next time
I’ll get it right

Roll C away
Roll C away
Roll C away

No comments:

Post a Comment