Introduction

The "Hotel Melanoma" moniker is a metaphor for living with my particular brand of cancer. Except for those lucky few of us deemed "cured", all we cancer survivors are guests of one of the many, many branded hotels in the "Hotel Carcinoma" chain. We can check out any time we like, but we can never leave. Meanwhile, let's be livin' it up; and please support cancer education, prevention, and treatment research.



Tutu Brothers

Monday, November 7, 2011

There Must Be Some Way Out Of Here

Every time I have a checkup with the melanoma doc, I walk in hoping that I’ll walk out with some sort of certificate of graduation and lifetime warranty that is my ticket out of the Hotel Melanoma. I know that’s not going to happen, but am nevertheless convinced I’d be foolish not to hope. Meanwhile, with another winter storm approaching, I think I’ll hunker down, call room service, and order in.

My fractured version of Bob Dylan’s “All Along The Watchtower”...



“There must be some way out of here" said the patient ‘bout this grief
"There's too much infusion", I can't get no relief
Toxic meds, they fill my line, surgeons look for worst
All of us among our kind know what any suntan’s not worth.

"No reason to get excited", the doc he kindly spoke
"There are many here among us who feel your life’s not lost all hope
’Cause you and I, we've been through that, and this is not your fate
So let us not talk deeply now, more patients and I’m late".

All along these Hotel halls, doctors scanned anew
While all the nurses came and went, barefoot patients, too.

Outside in the distance a pink crowd did howl
Pink runners were approaching, we black began to growl.

“There must be some way out of here" said the patient ‘bout this thief
"There's too much confusion", I can't get no relief
Cancer docs, they think I’m fine, bring me down to Earth
All of us among our kind know what any doc’s guess is worth.

"No reason to get all frighted", the doc he kindly spoke
"There are many here among us who feel your life’s not lost all hope
”Cause you and I, we've been through that, and this is not your fate
So let us not talk falsely now, your skin is looking great".

All along these Hotel halls, patients share their news
Since all the suntans came and went, pale is cool for you.

Outside in the distance a skin doc did growl
Fool tanners were still broasting, our crowd began to howl.

No comments:

Post a Comment