Introduction

The "Hotel Melanoma" moniker is a metaphor for living with my particular brand of cancer. Except for those lucky few of us deemed "cured", all we cancer survivors are guests of one of the many, many branded hotels in the "Hotel Carcinoma" chain. We can check out any time we like, but we can never leave. Meanwhile, let's be livin' it up; and please support cancer education, prevention, and treatment research.



Tutu Brothers

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Verses For Nurses

I spent about twenty days in the critical care oncology unit (“Eight East”) at the University of Colorado Hospital in the fall of 2003, undergoing biochemotherapy treatments. Despite the fact that my performance as a patient was way south of stellar, a bunch of very kind, experienced and professional oncology nurses took great care of me and did everything they could to make me as comfortable as possible. And they worked hard to reassure my wife that, notwithstanding my rather scary appearance and reactions to these harsh treatments, things were all going as expected and I was going to survive the week. Ladies (and a couple of gentlemen), you have no idea how important you all were to my rather peaceful state of mind (it wasn’t all due to those drugs) during this time— because I knew I was in very good and attentive nursing hands that weren’t going to let me fall over the edge. So, with thanks to all of you, here’s my altered version of the Eagles’ “Peaceful Easy Feeling”…



I like the things you caring nurses do,
and with a grin, not a frown.
And I’m gonna sleep, thank you,
in Eight East tonight
with my nursing stars all around.
'Cause I gotta peaceful easy feeling
and I know you won't let me down,
though I'm always demanding on your rounds.

And I found out in a day or so
how tough these drugs can be to control.
Ah, but they can't take me any way
you don't already know how to go.
And I gotta peaceful, easy feeling
and I know you won't let me down,
'cause I'm already counting on your rounds.

I got this feeling I will owe you
as a patient who’s no friend.
And my spouse keeps whispering
in my other ear, tells me
you hope not to see me again.
But I got a peaceful, easy feeling
and I know you won't let me down,
'cause I'm already counting on your rounds,
though I've always been acting...
out of bounds.
oooo, oooo


And please accept my apologies for being an ornery patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment