Introduction

The "Hotel Melanoma" moniker is a metaphor for living with my particular brand of cancer. Except for those lucky few of us deemed "cured", all we cancer survivors are guests of one of the many, many branded hotels in the "Hotel Carcinoma" chain. We can check out any time we like, but we can never leave. Meanwhile, let's be livin' it up; and please support cancer education, prevention, and treatment research.



Tutu Brothers

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Truckin' To The Pavilion

For a lot of guests at this Hotel getting the best available care and treatment involves some road trips. My own March Madness checkup season involves some serious truckin’ so, with apologies to the Grateful Dead, I’ve written myself some road music…



Truckin', got my CIGNA card. Keep truckin', the melanoma man.
Together, more or less on time, just keep truckin' on.

Rivers of pavement and flashing mounties on the highway.
the Springs, the Rock, to Denver, it's all on the same way.
Your typical cities involved in a typical road trip
Drive on up and see what the checkup brings.

Denver, got the Anschutz thing; Houston, with MD Anderson;
New York's got Sloan Kettering; they just won't let you be, oh no.

Some of the docs that you meet on your trip speak in statistics,
Some of the time you're sittin' and hopin' at home.
One of these days they might tell me I just could be dyin'
Out of the door and back down the road all alone.

Truckin', the melanoma man. Docs told me "You've got to play your hand"
Sometimes your cards ain't worth a dime, if you don't lay'em down.

Sometimes the docs are smiling at me;
Other times they can barely speak.
Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it's been.

What in the world ever became of sun tans?
Pale and white, I guess it’s all part of the plan.
Livin' on hope, vitamin D, and sunblock,
All a friend can say is "Ain't it a crock?"

Truckin', up to Denver slow. Been thinkin', will some tumors grow?
Takes time, to pick the place to go, and just keep truckin' on.

Sittin' and starin' out of the exam room window.
Got a hint they're gonna be late once again
I'd like to get checked out before I expire,
But when docs run the schedule, I guess they always will win.

Got scanned, at the Anschutz place, locked down, like a crazy man.
Gowned up, it get's to wearin' thin. They just won't let me be, oh no.

I’m done with this cheap Hotel and I'd like to break out;
I’m tired of stayin' and don’t want to hang around.
I hope that CIGNA can’t dump me for tryin',
Get out of the door and sprint out and bound all around.

Sometimes the docs are smilin' at me;
Other times they can barely speak.
Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it's been.

Truckin', I'm a goin' home. Whoa whoa baby, back where I belong,
Back home, sit down and rest my bones, and get back truckin' on.
Hey now get back truckin' home.

No comments:

Post a Comment