Introduction

The "Hotel Melanoma" moniker is a metaphor for living with my particular brand of cancer. Except for those lucky few of us deemed "cured", all we cancer survivors are guests of one of the many, many branded hotels in the "Hotel Carcinoma" chain. We can check out any time we like, but we can never leave. Meanwhile, let's be livin' it up; and please support cancer education, prevention, and treatment research.



Tutu Brothers

Monday, May 16, 2011

A Patient Pushin' Sixty

I’m truckin’ up to Denver today to see a doc (again) about a retinal problem that may or may not have anything to do with anything else, and I’m feeling a bit glum about the whole thing. But thanks to Jimmy Buffet’s “A Pirate Looks at Forty”, I’m gonna try to grin…



Mela, Melanoma, we will make you fall
Wanted to find a cure for this beast since we first got that call
You've done it all, you've done it all

Watched the docs who fight you look for cures and dream
And in your belly you hold defenses few have ever seen
Most of 'em dream, most of 'em dream

Yes I am a patient, few dozen years too soon
The doctors still wonder, you’re able to plunder
I'm an over-fifty fighter of doom
Arriving too soon, arriving too soon

I've done my bit of fightin', this cancer’s kicked my ass
I spent enough money to buy remission, will I piss it away too fast?
Is it meant to last, is it meant to last?

And I have been free now for nearly eight years
I went down but I rallied and I beat some old fears
And I got to keep wishin', got to keep livin'
Won’t go rock bottom again
Made some new friends, made some new friends

I go for younger doctors, been with several awhile
Though they scare me each day, can’t keep me away
Still can manage to smile
Just takes a while, just takes a while

Mela, Melanoma, after all the years I've found
My situational hazard being my melanoma may be around
I feel like I’ll win, gonna try to grin

I feel like I’ll win, gonna try to grin

No comments:

Post a Comment